An experienced and compassionate attorney helping you achieve your immigration dreams

Compassionate And Expert Legal Representation With All Matters Of LGBT Immigration

There are numerous issues that arise concerning LGBT issues and immigration. From seeking asylum from oppression to reuniting with your loved ones, I can help you achieve your goals. Finding an attorney you can trust is of the utmost importance in these cases, especially since your future is on the line.

For honest answers to your difficult LGBT immigration questions, contact the Law Office of Amie D. Miller. My office is based in San Francisco, California, and I serve clients across the globe.

Assistance With All Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual And Transgender Immigration Issues

With the elimination of certain sections of DOMA, same-sex couples now receive the same immigration benefits as married couples. However, your case must be handled properly. I have practiced immigration law exclusively since 1999, and am certified by The State Bar of California as a Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law.

I will assist you with any LGBT immigration concerns you are facing, including:

  • Filing for K-1 fiancé(e) visas
  • Filing for spouse visas
  • Filing for stepchild visas
  • Obtaining derivative spouse visas
  • Divorce and battered spouse immigration issues
  • Obtaining asylum status and more

I will explain all of your immigration options in regard to your same-sex marriage. Certain rights do not apply to those in a domestic partnership or a civil union, so speaking with an attorney is critical to the success of your case.

Answering Your Same-Sex Immigration Questions

No matter which questions you have regarding your rights as a same-sex couple in regard to immigration, I can help.

  • Can I sponsor my same-sex spouse on a family-based immigrant visa? Yes. Same-Sex spouses can petition for spouses under the same procedure that opposite sex couples can.
  • Can I file a fiancé(e) petition for my foreign national same-sex fiancé? Yes. See above.
  • Does it matter if I live in a state that does not recognize same-sex marriages? It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. To petition for same-sex spouse or fiancé, your marriage must be recognized as valid in the jurisdiction you married.
  • Do same-sex marriages reduce the residency period for naturalization? Yes. Generally, lawful permanent residents must wait five years to apply for naturalization. However, if you have been married to and living with your U.S. citizen spouse for three years after obtaining residency (even if your residency was not obtained through your spouse), you may file for naturalization after three years.

If you need further explanations or have more questions, do not hesitate to consult with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

Reach Out To Me Today For Answers

Call my San Francisco, California, office at 415-362-8602 to have your questions addressed by an experienced immigration lawyer. You may also contact me online. I offer virtual consultations if you live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area.