An experienced and compassionate attorney helping you achieve your immigration dreams

Skilled Legal Help With Crime Victim Visas (U Visas)

Are you seeking a visa in order to stay in the U.S.? Were you the victim of a crime? In America, U visas are available for crime victims, provided certain criteria are met.

A U visa will allow you to remain and work in the U.S. legally for four years, and will allow you to apply for permanent residence after three years. Your spouse, children and possibly other family members may be eligible to be included in your visa.

At the San Francisco Law Office of Amie D. Miller, we provide skilled and experienced legal help to people seeking all types of visas. As an experienced U visa lawyer, I have helped many crime victims determine their eligibility and obtain U visas. Requirements for eligibility to apply for a U visa include:

  • You were the victim of a crime
  • You suffered harm resulting from the crime
  • You were (or will be) helpful to law enforcement

Following are explanations of each of these criteria and other requirements. During your consultation with me, we will discuss each item and your options moving forward.

What Types Of Crimes Qualify For People For A U Visa?

The official list of qualifying crimes for a U visa is below. The crime you suffered might fit into one of the below categories, even if it is not listed. I will help you determine if you suffered a crime that might qualify you for a U visa.

  • Abduction
  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic violence
  • Extortion
  • False imprisonment
  • Genital female mutilation
  • Felonious assault
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Kidnapping manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Slave trading
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Witness tampering
  • Unlawful criminal restraint
  • Other related crimes

Providing Helpful Or Likely To Be Helpful Information To Law Enforcement

At the time of the crime, you may have provided a police report, identified someone in a lineup, testified in court or provided other helpful information to assist law enforcement with prosecuting the crime. I will help you obtain the police report and other law enforcement records to determine your eligibility.

Law Enforcement Certification

The U visa application requires the law enforcement agency that investigated or prosecuted the crime to certify that you provided helpful information. As an experienced U visa lawyer, I can assist you with identifying the appropriate agency and completing the certification form.

Significant Emotional Or Physical Harm

The crime must have caused physical or psychological harm to you that meaningfully impacted your life. Recounting a crime and its impact can be traumatic, and I will help you tell your story and obtain relevant medical and psychological records to help you present your case.

Other Eligibility Factors For A U Visa

You may be eligible for a U visa even if you are in the U.S. illegally or committed certain crimes or immigration violations. You should consult with an experienced U visa lawyer to determine whether you are eligible to apply.

Discussing a crime you suffered can be traumatic, and as your immigration lawyer, I can guide you through the U visa process and help you present your case. Contact my office online or call me locally at 415-362-8602 today to discuss your U visa eligibility.